Nausea can have a very negative impact on our quality of life if it continues for a long time. Many times, we feel nauseous after eating, while eating or immediately after. Thus, we present before you an article to answer all your questions about feeling nauseous while or after intake of food. We have also tried to outline some of the possible causes of nausea after eating, nausea immediately after eating, nausea while eating, nausea during pregnancy, nausea and pregnancy and its solutions. So stay tuned.
What Is Nausea?
At first, it is important to understand what nausea is. Nausea is not a disease, but a symptom that indicates the onset of a problem. Nausea is a feeling that makes a person want to vomit. It can be caused because of various reasons. It could be due to extreme anxiety, depression or a feeling of disgust. There is a difference between vomiting and nausea. While vomiting is an expulsion of substance from the system, nausea is an uneasy urge to vomit.
Nausea After Eating Anything
There are various reasons which can lead to this discomforting feeling of nausea. Nausea after eating anything can be because of the following reasons: –
- Food Poisoning: – One of the most common reasons is food poisoning. It is caused when the food remaining in the system attracts bacteria.
- Gastroenteritis: – Commonly known as stomach flu, gastroenteritis is one of the reasons for nausea. It occurs due to the contamination of the consumed food by a virus. It can also be due to staying in a close vicinity of a sick person.
- Pregnancy: – Nausea can also show that a person is pregnant. Generally, a pregnant woman experiences morning sickness, but the person can even feel nauseated after every meal intake.
- Psychological conditions: – Psychological conditions like stress and anxiety and give rise to nausea. People under tremendous pressure often feel nauseous and vomit.
- Gastritis: – The inflammation of the stomach lining is called gastritis. It is also one of the possible causes
- Acid Reflux: – Acid reflux or more commonly heartburn is one of the reasons.
Other common reasons include bulimia, indigestion or Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). It can also be a side effect of chemotherapy (cancer treatment).
Nausea Immediately After Eating
The time at which nausea or vomiting occurs is indicative of a lot of things. Depending upon the time of the onset of the feeling of nausea, certain problems can be ruled out, thus making the process of diagnosis of a certain disease easier and more accurate. Some of the major causes of nausea immediately after eating are listed below: –
- In case of food poisoning, nausea can occur accompanied by fever, cramps or stomach ache.
- Food Intolerance is another reason. Food intolerance is a person’s inability to ingest anything. It can cause nausea, fever or acne.
- Food allergy is another reason. It is a more violent form of food intolerance that occurs due to reaction to a particular type of food substance. It can cause swelling of various body parts (more commonly the face and the throat). Food allergy can also cause fever, cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- Nausea or vomiting immediately after consumption can be an indication of a heart attack.
- Indigestion or excessive intake of food can also be a cause of this uncomfortable feeling of nausea.
- Other problems like bulimia, gastritis or any infection or inflammation in the digestive tract could also be the cause behind nausea.
Nausea After Eating During Early Pregnancy
Most pregnant women feel nauseous during the early stages of pregnancy. It is known to typically start at the commencement of the second month and continues till the fetus is four months old. A pregnant woman can feel nauseous at any time, but it’s most common in the morning, which is generally referred to as morning sickness. Some women may get this feeling of queasiness when they’re hungry, but for the majority of them, it happens after they have finished taking their meal and can continue throughout the day in some cases. Nausea is not found to be harmful either for the mother or the baby.
Nausea, during pregnancy, occurs due to various hormonal changes in the body in order to prepare the body to nurse a new life. This shift in hormones can lead to multiple changes in the body, including the digestive system. During pregnancy, the food stays in the stomach for a more considerable length of time so that maximum nutrition can be absorbed from it. This results in nausea. The other possible cause may be the relaxed connection between the esophagus and the stomach, which happens during pregnancy. This can result in frequent episodes of nausea. During pregnancy, the sense organs are heightened, including the smelling, which contributes the feeling of nausea.
How To Deal With Nausea During Pregnancy?
Generally, post-meal nausea happens even after making meal adjustments. This problem can be solved by taking particular vitamins with a doctor’s consultation. Nausea can occur due to the presence of iron in vitamins. In such cases, changing the brand can help. A pregnant woman should avoid heavy meals with high-fat content. Spicy food or highly-flavored food should also be kept at a distance. Ginger flavored food or drinking Ginger ale is found to be highly beneficial.
Nausea In Case of Gallbladder
The gallbladder, located in the upper right section of the stomach, just under the liver is a pear-shaped or oblong shaped organ. Its function is to store the bile juice, fat and cholesterol and other combination of liquids. Another important role of this 4-inch-long organ is to break down fat food from the intestine and also to provide the bile juice into the small intestine. Nausea along with pain, jaundice, high fever, and diarrhea can be suggestive of chronic gallbladder disease. Nausea is a common symptom for most of the diseases related to the gallbladder. It can be an indication of the following gallbladder issues: –
- Gallstones: – they are small deposits formed as stones in the gallbladder.
- Inflammation of a part of the gallbladder or the entire gallbladder.
- Choledocholithiasis or common bile duct
- Perforated gallbladder
- Gallbladder polyps
- Porcelain gallbladder
- Gallbladder cancer
The treatment for gallbladder problems is basically surgery in which the entire gallbladder is removed, or a part of it is removed. People often complain of nausea during the post-surgery phase. There is no sure shot solution for it, and it goes away with time. It is normal to feel nauseated for a while after the surgery, but the following tips can be helpful: –
- One must change their diet pattern keeping in mind to avoid large meals and trying to take less fatty food. Try liquid diet at first and slowly progress to solid food.
- Bile supplement in the form of salts is helpful for those whose entire gallbladder has been removed.
- Ginger or ginger supplement is a boon for people who are nauseated.
- At times, wearing acupressure bracelets around the wrist can also be helpful.
Nausea While Eating
If one experiences nausea while eating, doctor’s consultation is necessary to make sure that the cause isn’t serious. When a person feels nauseated during the period of intake of a meal, it can be because of a number of reasons. The most common of all is found to be stomach flu, which is a sort of viral infection. Another reason for the same, maybe because of pregnancy. Women may feel nauseated while taking a meal if they are more than a month pregnant or so. If these two issues have already been ruled out and this feeling of nausea stays around for a while, it can be caused due to gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) or ulcers in the stomach or the small intestine. These problems are often caused because of smoking or consumption of alcohol, though they are not the only reasons. It can also be due to the presence of bacteria with the name Helicobacter Pylori. Other than this, it can also be a sign that the food intake by the person is not proper or the person is under a lot of stress or anxiety. Psychological conditions like depression can also trigger the feeling of nausea. It can also be an indication that the person has a migraine. If it occurs while consuming a particular substance, it can be because of food intolerance.
Nausea while eating can be avoided by changing the regular diet like the elimination of greasy food. One must make sure to chew the food properly. One can try practicing yoga and meditation to do away with stress, which in turn will help you get rid of the feeling of nausea. Try staying away from irritable odors like cigarette or vehicle smoke and other foul smells. Specific food like a few grains or ginger helps in controlling nausea. One should take medication for heart burns and indigestion.
Nausea And Dizziness
Nausea along with dizziness/ lightheadedness can occur due to a lot of reasons. Some of the possible causes are stated below: –
In general terms, it is a problem of having low blood pressure just after having a meal. This gives rise to symptoms like dizziness and nausea. The nervous system, the circulatory system, and the digestive system work together to perform the complex action of digestion. During the process of digestion, an increased supply of blood is required in the stomach and the small intestine. The heart beats faster to pump more blood to meet the increased need, as a result of which the blood vessels narrow. Any problem in the response of the heart or the blood vessels gives rise to the problem of low blood pressure. The issue of postprandial hypotension occurs when the body is unable to respond to a sudden change of the blood pressure. The following measures can be helpful by avoiding:
- Fatty and greasy food like refined flour, white rice, potato and tomato and high sugar content beverages should be avoided.
- Eating a protein rich diet and whole grains or wheat can be helpful.
- One should try to drink 12 to 18 ounces of water 15 minutes before taking the meal
- Rather than having large meals fewer times, break up your meals into smaller parts thus the burden on the digestive system will be less and thus the problem won’t occur.
Poisoning By Seafood:
Eating or preparing raw seafood can also be one of the reasons for the onset of nausea together with dizziness. One must be careful while cooking them. But some naturally occurring toxic chemicals can neither be done away with by washing or cooking properly. It is hard to point them out since they hardly affect the taste, smell or appearance of the food. There can be other symptoms like weakness too. In case of such poisoning, emergency medical help must be taken as soon as possible.
Issues like nausea and dizziness can occur in cases of excessive tension and migraine.
Overeating can also be one of the main reasons. Eatables like chocolate, processed food, especially processed meat, nuts, onions or even some dairy products can cause such issues.
Feeling Sick After Eating
Many times, one may feel an uneasy, queasy feeling or nauseous after eating. This can be because of a particular food component. If it is not because of one particular ingredient, either one of the following can be a reason behind it: –
- Food poisoning
- Motion or traveling sickness
- Psychological issues like stress or anxiety
To deal with the above problems, try eating smaller meals. Take your time while eating. Eating in a hurry often results in indigestion because the food isn’t chewed properly. Try eating fatty or spicy food as less as possible. If the symptoms persist for a while, then it is time to seek medical consultation. Some of the possible reasons for the issue can be: –
- Food allergies
- Peptic ulcer
- Gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD)
- It can also be a psychological problem called Rumination disorder where the swallowed food comes back to the mouth.
For food allergies, GERD and ulcers, medical help should be taken, while for psychological problems reducing stress can be helpful.
We hope you were able to find answers to your queries related to nausea after eating. We, at Live It Beautiful, are always ready to help you with your further questions, comments, and advice. So, feel free to write to us if there’s anything related to nausea after eating. Have a great time ahead and stay healthy.