Inducing vomiting? Sounds gross, right? But sometimes, it’s a necessity when you have ingested some toxic substance and want to take it out before it causes any serious damage. Vomiting expels the food and substance that made you feel ill, taking away that discomfort instantly. So if you’re looking for tips and home remedies on how to make yourself throw up, you’ve landed at the right place. Below we’ve shared sure shot remedies to help you throw up or puke in no time. Keep reading.
What Is Nausea And Vomiting:
Nausea is described as an urge or feeling to throw up, while vomiting means expelling the content of the stomach through the mouth. The abdominal muscles contract strongly to create the pressure required for throwing out the stomach content. The feeling is dreadful, especially for those who’re not used to it.
Before inducing vomiting, you must know the cause of the sickness, especially if you feel your head spinning. It could be due to food poisoning or excess alcohol consumption. So contact your nearest poison control to check the reason. If your country does not have a dedicated poison control center in your city, contact your physician. Make sure you do everything fast.
Why Do We Feel The Need To Induce Vomiting?
The human body was created in such a way that it can trigger vomiting naturally when required. Just regular sickness or nausea should not compel you to make yourself puke. The ideal signs when it becomes necessary to vomit include:
- Uneasy feeling or discomfort in the stomach due to a bad meal or rotten food.
- If you’ve ingested pills like cyanide or drugs like heroin.
- Excessive salivation
- Pale lips
How To Make Yourself Throw Up Or Vomit? Tips And Techniques
- Using The Fingers Or Gag Reflex For Inducing Vomiting:
This is the most widely used method to induce vomiting. Sit or kneel in front of the toilet bowl in a firm position, so that you don’t fall. Stick your tongue out and put the middle and index finger at the back of the tongue. Now try to pull your fingers and tongue until you touch the lingual or the back throat wall. When you start feeling stomach cramp, remove your finger to allow the content come out. This method stimulates the constrictor muscles located at the back of the throat, thereby triggering a gag reflex which makes you throw up.
The effectiveness of this method depends entirely on your gag reflex. If you have a dormant or suppressed gag reflex, this method won’t help you. And don’t forget to wash your hands with soap and lukewarm before and after performing this process.
Please do not use stick, toothbrush, spoon or any object to induce vomiting. It can do irreparable damage to your mouth, teeth, and tongue.
- Watching Other People Vomit (Sensory Stimulation):
If you don’t want to ingest anything and find the finger method a bit difficult or challenging, you can watch a video of another person vomiting. We totally vouch for this method as it indeed works like a charm. It’s because being in contact with certain stimulus can induce vomiting and what better than a video to stimulate the senses. You’ll find yourself puking in no time.
If you’re wondering how to make yourself throw up or puke naturally, then spinning could help. Remember when, as kids, we used to spin on our daddy’s office chair? And how it would make us giddy and want to throw up? This method can be applied even today to make ourselves puke. Just sit calmly on an office chair and start spinning. Then make the spinning faster until you start feeling to throw up.
- Just Think About Vomiting;
In most of the cases, just the thought of vomiting is enough to make yourself throw up. You just have to imagine something disgusting or gross that you saw or ate. Isn’t this method perfect for people to make yourself vomit without fingers?
It’s a well-known fact that overeating makes people vomit. So why don’t you binge a bit to make yourself vomit? The method is completely natural, but you will gain some calories. Your best bet would be eating healthy foods like fresh fruits, veggies, and whole grain foods. We’d suggest you avoid junk food as it can worsen your digestive health.
- Drink Plenty Of Water:
Here’s another easy peasy, natural and safe way to induce vomiting. Drinking plenty of water makes the stomach full, making it simpler to induce vomiting fast. Besides, water will ease the strain on your stomach, throat, and esophagus while vomiting. It will even dissolve the stomach content, for easy expulsion. But do not vomit immediately after drinking water. Wait for at least ten minutes and then move ahead.
Home Remedies To Induce Vomiting:
Before applying any of these home remedies, remember, you’re forcing yourself to puke, which isn’t a normal practice. It should be the final solution to your problem, not your first. So read on to know how to make yourself throw up naturally.
- Salt Water:
Salt water is one of the most common home remedies to make oneself puke. Salt contains sodium chloride, which helps activate the vomiting process. Please don’t make it a habit because excess salt can be harmful for the body. And people who’re on a low – sodium diet or are suffering from high blood pressure should steer clear from this method.
How To Use Salt Water For Inducing Vomiting:
Mix 2 to 3 teaspoons of salt in a glass of water. Mix and gulp it down.
You’ll have to wait for at least 20 minutes for this method to work.
Mustard, the age-old purgative, can help you tremendously in puking, probably. Besides, this spice also works as a poultice to heal respiratory condition causes due to chest and throat congestion.
How To Use Mustard For Inducing Vomiting:
Mix one teaspoon of mustard in a glass of warm water and drink it. If you’re finding hard to gulp it down, try holding your breath while consuming it. The remedy will take at least 20 minutes to show results.
Alternatively, you can even prepare a concoction by boiling a teaspoon of mustard seeds in a glass of water. Strain and drink it.
- Bloodroot Herb:
Here’s another simple remedy to induce vomiting naturally. Bloodroot herb has been used to treat cancers, fevers and vomiting by the Native American since time immemorial. So there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work you. But before proceeding, please note that bloodroot herb is pretty toxic, and a high concentration of it can also cause death. If it doesn’t work for the first time, leave and move on to the other method. If you experience foot pain or tunnel vision after ingesting this herb, consult a doctor immediately.
How To Use Bloodroot For Inducing Vomiting:
Mix a quarter teaspoon of bloodroot powder with water and gulp it down.
- Castor Oil:
Apart from its use in soap, ink, dye, textile and cosmetic manufacturing, castor oil can also help you throw up. Castor oil is a stimulant laxative and can you help throw up undigested stomach content. But for this method, you’ll need extra virgin castor oil.
How To Use Castor Oil For Inducing Vomiting:
You can either drink one teaspoon of castor oil on its own or mix it with warm water.
However, do not overuse it as castor oil is a strong purgative and can cause dehydration.
If you’re stomach problem is because of food poisoning, then Coca Cola can be great help. A study has proven that the bubbles of Coca Cola treats stomach upset and relieves gastritis by inducing burp (1).
How To Use Coca Cola For Inducing Vomiting:
To induce vomiting with coca cola, drink two glasses of this beverage every hour, followed by water.
- Egg Whites:
Here’s another easy home remedy to make you puke, but it requires great courage on your part. A research has proven that gargling with egg whites can help induce vomiting in people who’ve consumed something poisonous. It’s primarily because people cannot tolerate the taste and even the feel of raw eggs in their mouth, so gargling with egg white is sure to make you throw up.
How To Use Eggs White For Inducing Vomiting:
Take white of three eggs and beat in a bowl.
Gargle with raw eggs until it makes you throw up.
If you’re finding hard to vomit for the first time, repeat the step.
- Hydrogen Peroxide:
Hydrogen peroxide works best for inducing vomiting in pets.
How To Use Hydrogen Peroxide For Inducing Vomiting In Pets:
Combine a teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in lukewarm water and make your dog and cat drink it.
Things To Do After Inducing Vomiting:
Below mentioned are a few things, which you must do immediately after vomiting.
- After vomiting, rinse your mouth thoroughly to remove the after taste. Clean your teeth and tongue to remove the debris and lingering stomach acid. Do not brush your teeth after vomiting, as it can damage the enamel covered by the stomach acid.
- Rehydrate the body by sipping small amounts of water. Lemon water is also a great alternative. Do not drink too much water at a time as it can make you feel nauseous again.
- Avoid consuming caffeine, alcohol and other acidic fluids, as it can upset the stomach.
- If the hunger hits, eat bland foods like rice, crackers and broth. It will be easy on the stomach. Oatmeal, pudding, soup, rice water and plant based yogurt are the best options.
- Drink herbal teas as it will improve your digestion and will protect your digestive tract. Melissa tea, green tea, ginger tea and chamomile tea are best for soothing the digestive tract. Just ensure that they are decaffeinated.
- Sit down with ease and relax both your mind and body. It will make the nausea or other discomfort go away.
- Throwing up makes the body weak from losing all the fluids and nutrients. So give your body some time to recover by resting. Stay in the bed and take regular naps.
- If you feel weak after vomiting and the weakness does not subside even after a few hours, then you need to visit a doctor.
Why You Shouldn’t Induce Vomiting Or Make Yourself Throw Up Forcefully?
Most of the health and medical websites suggest that you should make yourself puke forcefully, especially if you think you’ve ingested something poisonous. You should call emergency or Poison Control Center and follow the instruction. Apart from that, there are several other reasons when you shouldn’t make yourself throw up.
- Do not induce vomiting in someone who suffers from seizures or impaired consciousness as it can lead to choking.
- Do not make yourself throw after eating or ingesting:
- Petroleum products like coal oil, kerosene oil, gasoline, paint thinner, lighter fluid, liquid pesticide concentrates or other solvents. Apart from these, volatile liquids that froth such as dish washing soap, shampoo and other cleaning fluids containing toluene and benzene.
- Iron tablets
- Any type of chemical
- Hard or sharp object like batteries, toys, buttons, coins, rings and so on.
- In these cases, inducing vomiting will do more harm than good.
- Excessive alcohol
- Doctors advise against making yourself throw up after drug overdose or food poisoning. These things must be handled by healthcare professionals.
- If you’re suffering from severe stomach ache or cramps, don’t even think of inducing vomiting. It can tear your esophagus.
- Inducing vomiting during pregnancy is strictly prohibited, especially if you’re trying to relieve yourself from morning sickness.
- If you’re suffering from diseases such as heartburn, gastritis, acid reflux, kidney diseases or stomach flu, inducing vomiting will do more harm than good.
- Never ever induce vomiting to lose weight. It will lead to anorexia nervosa.
- Do not use over the counter emetics or medicine to induce vomiting. Ipecac syrup is one of the most recommend OTC medicine to induce vomiting. But the American Association of Poison Control Centers, the American Academy of Pediatrics and a few other poison centers advise against it, primarily due to its inefficacy in removing the toxic substances. Ipecac syrup is also reported to cause lethargy, especially in children.
Side Effects And Dangers Of Inducing Vomiting:
- Esophageal Tear:
Forcefully or violently inducing vomiting can lead to partial or full thickness tear of the esophagus. This is especially common in people who consume excessive alcohol or those with eating disorders, such as bulimia. The symptoms of esophageal tear include upper abdominal and lower chest pain or vomit in blood.
Excessive vomiting can lead to not just loss of water, but also loss of electrolytes, such the as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium and chloride. This imbalance of water and electrolytes can interfere with your body function, leading to medical complications like increased blood pH.
- Burning Sensation:
The corroding substance in the vomit, like alkali and acid can cause chemical burns in the mouth, throat and esophagus.
The vomit contains gastric content, which are highly acidic. While puking, some of the vomit substance can make its way into the breathing pathways. This can cause choking, mainly if it reaches the lungs. This condition can be life threatening if not dealt with early.
- Enamel Damage:
The stomach acid can even damage or even destroy the enamel of your teeth and gums, leading to dental complications.
When To Contact The Doctor:
In most of the causes, nausea is a sign of gastroenteritis and stomach cause, but sometimes, it can suggest an underlying health condition. Consult your doctor if:
- The vomiting and nausea last for more than 8 to 10 years
- The vomiting continues for a few days, especially in the morning. It could be a sign of pregnancy.
- The tongue dries and you start feeling dizzy after vomiting. Dry tongue is usually a sign of dehydration and must be treated immediately.
- The vomiting is accompanied with loose stool. It could be a sign of diarrhea.
- You’re not sure what you’ve consumed that has triggered the stomach upset.
- The neck feels stiff or you get severe headache after vomiting.
- You’re having high fever with heart rate being 100 beats/min.
- You see blood in vomit or your vomit looks brown in color.
- You feel sick in the stomach every day.
To conclude, throwing up is a good way to remove the harmful substances and toxins from the body, but it should be your last resort. Don’t even think of using this technique for losing weight. And never let your body become prone to self-induced vomiting. The human body does an excellent work of developing a habit. By making your body get used to throwing up, you’ll create more issues for yourself in future.
We believe our article will surely help to vomit out all the irritating things in your body. If you have any more suggestion on how to make yourself throw up or vomit fast, let us know by commenting below.