Burping is one of the easiest ways to relieve your system of excess gas, isn’t it? But sometimes, it gets extremely difficult to burp on command. It could be due to GERD, acid reflux or any other underlying condition. In this article, we’ll tell you how to make yourself. So stay tuned.
Burping Or Belching Definition:
Burping or belching formally called ructus is a very common occurrence. In medical terms, this is referred to as eructation too. In this process, the gas present in the digestive tract (consisting of the stomach and the esophagus) is released out of the mouth.
Causes of Burping:
It is generally a result of the air swallowed while eating or drinking something which is later on expelled out of the mouth. Some of the very common reasons behind burping has been listed below:
- Carbonated drinks like beer, soda, soft drinks and even sparkling water. The main component of the gas released in this case is carbon dioxide from the drink itself.
- The air swallowed while eating or drinking. The main component, in this case, is nitrogen and oxygen from the air taken in.
- Diabetes drugs like Metformin and Byetta can also be a cause. It may be mild or severe depending upon the amount of drug taken it. Burping caused by these drugs are found to generally go away in a few weeks.
- Acid reflux
- Food allergy
- Gallbladder diseases
If burping occurs with other symptoms, it may be a sign of some other underlying problem in the body. If symptoms like nausea, heartburn, and dyspepsia occur along with burping it might be suggestive of problems like an ulcer and hiatal hernia.
Burping In Infants:
In infants, the burping is caused by the accumulation of gas in the stomach. This can result in discomfort and agitation. Burping helps in relieving the infant of this discomfort. The best way to help the infant to burp is to put the child in the gas expulsion position (the child’s head should rest over the adult’s shoulders and the body of the infant should be against the adult’s chest). Pat the child’s lower back slowly to help the child to burp. The infant may vomit a little but is generally not considered a big problem.
When voluntary burps are caused by a person by swallowing and expelling air it is given the term burped speech. The vocal tracts are often manipulated in a particular manner to make different sounds known as burped speech.
Burping Etiquette Around The World:
Before we head on straight to the manual of helping you burp, it is important to make sure that it is not considered indecent in the society you live in. In places like Japan, North America, and Britain it is considered to be a sign of bad manners. You might end up making people dislike you just because of a little burp sound. Even in the middle east, people are not great fans of burping. In their society, one must try and control the burp or at least pretend to try to stop the burping sound to reach another person.
How To Make Yourself Burp Out Loudly:
Burping is one of the easiest ways of getting rid of excess gas in the digestive tract. Below we have mentioned easy ways of helping you burp out loud and collect the precious laughs of the people around.
- The best way to induce a long-lasting and loud burp is by making use of carbonated drinks. Choose any carbonated drink of your choice but make sure it’s not too sweet else it can cause other issues later. Keep in mind that it shouldn’t be too cold either.
- As soon as you open the can or bottle, try and drink it as fast as possible. Try to finish the entire drink in one go but don’t force yourself way too much. Try taking small sips faster rather than taking in large gulps. Avoid taking any small burps in between.
- Now, wait for five to seven seconds. In this time period, the drink will settle in the stomach and the bubbles of gas will have time to rise up into your digestive tract.
- Next step is to maintain a straight position. You can either choose to stand up or sit down but make sure to keep your back straight so that you don’t cause an unnecessary obstacle in the movement of the air inside your body.
- Now let go of the air that is trapped inside the digestive tract by opening the mouth. The more air is taken in, the more would longer and louder the burp will be. Do not try to push all the air outside at once or the burp will be too short. Do not close your mouth at all, or the sound of the burp will be muffled.
- While Burping, squeeze your stomach muscles to get rid of all the air trapped inside.
- Imagine eating something and try to swallow the air in the process without actually eating any food. The best way to do so is to imagine taking a bite or having a mouthful of food.
- Next step is to enact the act of swelling. Contract your throat as if swallowing each mouthful of food. Each time more air will go inside. Try to suck the air and pull it all the way down the throat.
- Repeat this process as many times as you can manage but don’t try to cross your own limit. The more air you take in the longer and the louder the burp will last.
- Next step is to squeeze the abdomen muscles to make all the accumulated gas come together. Get ready to burp but wait for another few seconds just to build up the pressure. This step will ensure that the burp lasts longer.
- Now, open the mouth to release the air. The air coming out resonates and as a result, a louder burping sound is produced.
- Try to force the diaphragm and the stomach in order to throw out any remnant air. Squeezing the diaphragm will ensure that you get rid of as much air as possible in one burp.
Foods That Can Help You Burp:
There are several veggies and fruits that can make this task of burping easier. These help in building the pressure to let out a burp and relieve the system of any excess gas present in the system. The list of such things is given below: –
- Whole-grain bread
- Chewing gum
- Hard candies
Other Ways To help You Burp:
Other than the above-illustrated methods there are other ways that can be useful in getting out a burp or pressurize the burp to come out. Some of them are as follows:
- Moving the air out of the body by exercising: Exercising or even simply jumping has been found to be of great help in burping to take out the excess amount of gas present in the digestive system. Simply walking, jogging and light aerobics can also help you in doing this.
- Antacids: Antacids contains calcium carbonate which readily breaks into carbon dioxide inside the body. The carbon dioxide thus formed initiates burping.
- Posture: Maintaining a proper posture while breathing is very important as it determines the amount of air taken inside. Siting up straight or maintaining a proper posture while standing up can help you in accumulating less gas inside the body.
Burping During Acid Reflux:
First of all, let us probe deeper into acid reflux. In medical terms, it is called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or very simply, GERD. The problem lies in the place where the stomach is connected to the esophagus. To be more precise it is the lower muscular valve or the lower esophagus sphincter which doesn’t close properly. This leads to the coming of the stomach acid into the mouth. It causes heartburn as well as belching. This also leads to hoarseness in the throat. When the acid comes into the mouth, it tastes bitter. Burping can also cause the stomach acid to come into the mouth so it might as well be called a reason of acid reflux. The other reasons and conditions that can cause acid reflux to occur more often are:
- During pregnancy
- Food having a high-fat content
- Very spicy food
- Coffee and other caffeinated drinks
Below we have listed a few symptoms that occur when a person is having an acid reflux:
- Bitter or sour taste in the mouth
- Easily getting a sore throat
- Having a greater amount of saliva in the mouth
- Swallowing food or even water causing a lot of pain
- Bad breath
- The gums swelling up
- Erosion of the enamel of the tooth
- Having a nauseous feeling for a long time
Inability To Burp:
The inability to burp is found to be quite rare in humans but it does exist. The inability to burp can cause much discomfort and agitation. First and foremost it is important to know the reason behind this. In this condition, the upper oesophageal sphincter cannot release air for some time. When a person burps this sphincter is supposed to relax so that it can let the air escape. During swallowing, the same oesophageal sphincter has to go down to let the food in. This can cause easy bloating because of the accumulation of gas in the stomach.
I Can’t Burp Cure:
If you really can’t burp, then there are cures to check your condition and modify it to your advantage. Given below are some of the ways in which you can get rid of the ways by which you can do away with this inability:
- Videofluoroscopic Swallow Study: By using this way, the medical experts generally find out that sphincter works properly while going down but cannot work well in the opposite direction. This leads to the diagnosis of a retrograde-only oesophagus dysfunction.
- Botox Treatment: Botox treatment is done to the malfunctioning sphincter which weakens it. With time it slowly starts working properly in both the directions.
How To Burp It Out When It’s Stuck
A stuck burp can straight away ruin your mood as well as the entire day. It even makes breathing difficult. A stuck burp can render you miserable for a long time. Not to worry though, we have some simple tips that can help you come out of the misery as soon as possible.
- If you are in great discomfort, straight away jump to medicine like Lansoprazole. They are to be taken in the morning and they dissolve on their own when kept in the mouth.
- Soda and tonic water can always come in handy in this situation.
- You can try peppermint and mint tea as well. They are known to work wonders in this case.
How To Burp When It Just Won’t Come Out:
There are times when you need to burp it out but you just can’t. Below we have described a few ways to get out the burp in any way you want.
- When you want to take it all out in one go, the best shot will be with a glass of carbonated drink or some pressure building food. Eat it all in one go and then try jumping or some light movements (make sure not to strain yourself else it can result in vomiting) . Then sit up straight and squeeze your abdomen muscles. When you feel like burping, open your mouth and let it out in one go.
- Another way to get smaller burps is by simply swallowing a lot of air by mouth. For this method, plug your nostrils, breathe through your mouth and exhale into your closed mouth and take in the air each time. In no time, you will feel a burp coming up. Burp it out right then.
- In case you want to burp out but don’t want to gross out others at your table, eat less. Close your mouth at the signal of an upcoming Burp. Let the gas pass through your nose. Alternatively, you can try covering your mouth with a fist to further muffle up the sound.
How To Burp On Command Without Soda:
When you want to burp without using consuming soda, the best method will be trying to swallow the air and then burping the same out. You can consider using antacids and pressure building food.
How To Make Yourself Burp For Beginners?
This trick is a bit hard to get used to but can come in handy when you try it out a few times. First of all, inhale with an open mouth and once you feel you have taken in enough air in your mouth, try making the burping sound. Moving the head back and forth can make the burping sound last longer at times. Although, at times it can leave a sensation of having a sore throat. In other cases, it might cause a bit of acid reflux.
So, this was all from our side. Write to us in the comments section below and let us know your experience after trying these tricks. Share your tricks too. In case you have a question, shoot it at us. You can even check out our articles on how to make yourself pee, how to make yourself poop, and how to make yourself throw up. Until next time and don’t forget have a great life and live it beautifully.