Head lice- just the name is enough to make you feel uneasy even if your head isn’t infested with this parasite that lives close to the scalp and feeds on human blood. It’s reported that around 6 to 12 million U.S. children get head lice every year. Now that’s a staggering number and gives a cue to how widespread this condition too. Lice infestation can occur at any age, but children are most susceptible to it. In this article, we’ll discuss how to get rid of lice permanently and home remedies to get rid of head lice naturally. So keep reading.
You May Also Like To Read:
- How To Get Fair Skin Naturally? Home Remedies To Get Fair Skin
- How To Get Periods Immediately? Home Remedies To Get Periods Immediately
- How To Get Rid Of Sulfur Burps Or Egg Burps? Home Remedies For Sulfur Burps
- Spotting After Period: Causes, Treatment, Remedies And How To Get Rid Of It
Causes Of Lice Or Head Lice:
Contrary to what most of the people believe, head lice are not caused due to poor hygiene. It can spread from person to person through contact with combs, clothing, bedding and brushes.
Symptoms Of Lice On Head:
The common symptoms of lice on head include:
- Itchy scalp
- Feeling of something crawling on the head
- Red bumps on the scalp
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Lice Permanently:
To get rid of head lice, combing the hair with a nit comb or nit picking can be of tremendous help, but these methods tend to take a very long time to show results. Fortunately, there are several home treatments that can help you get rid of head lice in a matter of few days. Take a look at the most effective home treatments to get rid of head lice.
The efficacy of vinegar for the treatment of head lice is well documented, which is further cemented by the fact that we’ve had several of our readers asking, “how to get rid of lice with vinegar”? But before proceeding with the method, let’s tell you what makes vinegar so effective for lice. Vinegar contains high levels of acetic acid, which is proven to kill head lice successfully. Another excellent thing is that vinegar can dissolve the dead nits easily.
How To Use Vinegar To Get Rid Of Head Lice?
- Mix equal amounts of mineral oil and vinegar and apply to your or child’s scalp and hair before sleeping. Cover the head with a shower cap and wash it off the next morning with a herbal shampoo.
- Alternatively, mix equal amount of vinegar and water and rinse your freshly shampooed hair with the solution. Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse your hair with fresh water.
- You need to follow both the methods twice or thrice weekly for at least two months to get effective results.
Another popular home ingredient for treating head lice is mayonnaise. Mayonnaise treats head lice by suffocating these little monsters. Even The Minnesota Department of Health has listed mayonnaise as a useful ingredient to get rid of head lice.
How To Use Mayonnaise To Get Rid Of Head Lice?
- Coat your or your child’s hair with mayonnaise, cover it with shower or plastic cap and leave it for five to six hours.
- After that, wash off your hair with a regular shampoo.
- After washing, dry your hair with a dryer to ensure that the lice are dead. Remove the lice and nits with a nit comb.
- Repeat this method once weekly for two months for best results. ‘
- Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil is renowned as a natural insecticide, which can help kill head lice and soothe the itching.
How To Use Tea Tree Oil To Get Rid Of Head Lice?
- Mix three to five drops of tea tree oil for every ounce of shampoo and wash your hair with it. Dry the hair with a dryer and remove the lice with a nit comb. Follow this method for at least two months once a week to see results.
- Alternatively, mix one teaspoon of tea tree oil with three tablespoons of olive oil and add a teaspoon of eucalyptus oil to it. Apply the solution to the hair and scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it off and dry your hair with a hair dryer. Use the treatment twice a week monthly.
- Lemon Juice:
The acidic nature of tea tree oil can also help remove nits and lice from the hair. It is also effective for preventing an infestation if your child’s school or daycare has found lice on other children.
How To Use Lemon Juice To Get Rid Of Head Lice?
- Apply fresh lemon on the hair and scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Then first, rinse it off with vinegar and then with lukewarm water. Follow this treatment once weekly to prevent lice from occurring.
- To get rid of lice, add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to a paste made of four large garlic cloves. Apply the mixture on the scalp and massage thoroughly. Cover the hair with a thick towel and leave it for half an hour. Rinse if off, first with water and then with shampoo. Repeat the method for five consecutive days to kill the lice.
Onions contain high levels of sulfur, which can help kill head lice effectively.
How To Use Onion To Get Rid Of Head Lice?
- Grind four to five onions in a food processor, sieve the juice and massage your scalp with it.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it for two hours.
- Shampoo your hair and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Dry your hair and then remove the lice using a nit comb.
- Follow this method for three consecutive days to eliminate head lice.
Home Treatments To Get Rid Of Head Lice Permanently:
Pediculicide is one of the quickest treatments to get rid of head lice permanently. Pediculicides are formed to kill both lice and their eggs in just a few sittings. But ensure that you read the instructions carefully before using pediculicides. A few important tips to remember while using pediculicides include:
- Make the person being treated put on old clothes and sit in the bathroom. It will make the cleanup a lot easier for you.
- Apply pediculicides according to the instructions on the bottle.
- Let the treatment sit for the recommended time. This is very important. And never leave it longer than recommended.
- With off the treatment just with water, not shampoo. And do not use shampoo for two consecutive days.
- Use Nit Comb:
If you’re using pediculicide, follow it by brushing your hair with a nit comb. It will speed up the process. Or you can use nit comb on its own to get rid of head lice. Nit combs work by pulling off the nits and eggs and dead lice while they are being combed through the hair. To use the nit comb, divide the hair into sections, and pull the comb from roots to the ends.
Place the nit comb in a bowl of warm, soapy water. It will kill the lice and eggs. Continue combing the hair until all the sections are combed. After using the comb, sanitize it by placing it with hot water.
- Wash The Infected Person’s Bedding And Clothes:
After performing all the treatment, wash the bedding, clothes, pillowcases, stuffed animals and all the fabrics the person has ever come in contact with boiling water. Then run the materials through the hot dryer. The lice can never thrive in hot conditions. If the items cannot be soaked in hot water, place them in plastic bags for at least two weeks. The lice will die without any food or hair.
- Monitor The Hair:
Do not just sit back and relax after following all the treatments. You must diligently monitor the head and scalp every 8 hours to ensure there are no signs of lice. Lice hatch in cycles, so getting rid of them in a go can be difficult. Comb your hair with a lice or nit comb every 8 hours for the first 3 days and then make it 16 hours for next two weeks.
We’re cent percent sure that these treatments will help you get rid of lice and nits permanently and fast in no time. Some of these remedies can even help you get rid of head lice naturally in one day. So don’t wait anymore and try these remedies right away.
What tips and remedies will you suggest to get rid of lice permanently? Share your views with us in the comment section below.