Celestamine is a vital drug available in many forms in the market. There is a lot of confusion in the minds of the consumer regarding the uses, dosage, precautions and side effects of Celestamine. Thus, we’re presenting before you an article to guide you about Celestamine. Don’t waste a minute and start reading.
Celestamine- Generic Name and Uses
The generic name of Celestamine medicine is Betamethasone/ Dexchlorpheniramine. This combination is internationally branded as Celestamine and is manufactured and marketed by Schering Plough Ltd. It is a corticosteroid which can be both systemic and topical. In general, it is used as an anti-inflammatory and can also work to reduce pain. It is helpful in dealing with conditions like psoriasis, skin dermatitis of different kinds like seborrhea and atopic and Neurodermitis. Celestamine is available as tablets, as well as syrup and is recommended for severe respiratory, dermatological conditions as well as ocular allergies. The amount of Betamethasone present is 250mcg per tablet, and the quantity of Dexchlorpheniramine is 2mg per tablet. It is available as ten tablets per strip.
Celestamine Over the Counter
Celestamine is not available as an over the counter drug. It cannot be sold just to anyone. This means that one must have a prescription from a qualified doctor to get this drug from the pharmacist.
Price Of Celestamine:
The price of the drug Celestamine depends upon the quantity available as well as its form. The price may vary from place to place. The prices of Celestamine given below aren’t absolute. Little difference may be found.
The Celestamine syrup marketed and manufactured by Schering Plough cost as follows: –
- Celestamine syrup 30ml×1’s cost $5.25
- Celestamine syrup 60ml×1’s cost $9.41
The Celestamine tablet produced and marketed by Schering Plough cost as follows: –
- Celestamine Tablet 1000’s cost $429.59
- Celestamine Tablet 500’s cost $231.13
Dosage Of Celestamine:
Unlike most other medicines, the dosage of Celestamine depends upon the individual’s response to the medication and how severe the problem is. In case, conditions are found to be better; the dosage should be reduced a little at a time until it is reduced to the bare minimum. After reaching the lowest dosage, it should be slowly discontinued.
For people above the age of 12 years, an initial dose of 1 or 2 tablets (1 or 2 tablespoons) for four times a day is prescribed. It is better to take the dose after a filling meal or at bedtimes. Do not increase the dosage of Celestamine more than eight tablets or 8 tablespoons in case of Celestamine syrup.
For children aged between 6 and 12 years, a dosage of ½ tablets (1/2 tablespoon) is to be given three times a day. Dosage is not supposed to exceed more than 4 tablets or 4 tablespoons in case of syrup.
For kids between the age of 2 to 6 years, a dose of ¼ or ½ tablespoon should be given thrice a day. The overall dosage should not be more than two tablespoons.
Side Effects Of Celestamine:
Celestamine is known to result in some side effects. In case they appear, it is essential to consult a doctor as soon as possible since these can take a turn to be more dangerous. Some of the side effects are listed below:
- It can produce a condition of sedation where a person is always sleepy or drowsy.
- In some cases, disturbance in the electrolyte and fluid balance is observed.
- Muscular problems can occur. Issues like muscular weakness, loss of muscle mass and tendon rupture are common.
- Psychological issues like mood swings, depression, and euphoria, are sometimes seen on the subject.
- In cases of women, menstrual irregularity can occur.
- Vertigo may occur.
- Some people complain about a headache too.
- There are also cases of abdominal distention.
- Digestive system problems are also encountered. Conditions like peptic ulcer, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome can occur.
- Nausea and vomiting can occur.
- The healing of wounds may take longer than usual.
- Skin problems like skin discoloration, thinning of the skin or it becoming too fragile are some of the common issues faced.
- There may be a problem of increased sweating.
There may be other side effects faced than the ones mentioned in this list.
Celestamine Syrup Dosage:
Celestamine Syrup comes in an anti-allergic medication, helpful in dealing with skin problems, itching or rash, skin inflammation, Phimosis and even Ataxia telangiectasia. The active ingredient in the Celestamine syrup is Betamethasone. The dosage of the medicine varies depending upon how severe the condition is. A qualified doctor must be consulted before the consumption of the medicine.
Side Effects Of Celestamine Syrup:
There are cases where side effects are found because of intake of the medication. Some of the common side effects of Celestamine Syrup are:
- Burning sensation
- Itching sensation or irritation
- Hypertrichosis may occur.
- Cases of allergic contact dermatitis are also seen.
There are a few drugs that are known to interfere or cause a reaction with Celestamine. They may lead to increased chances of side effects and may render Celestamine useless. Some of them are listed as follows
- Amphotericin B
The ingredients of Celestamine NS, a steroid are betamethasone and Loratadine. Celestamine NS helps to reduce swelling and to deal with the hormonal disorder in the body. It even produces steroids for the body when there is a lack of steroid production. Furthermore, Celestamine NS is also helpful in fighting allergic disorders.
One must not take Celestamine NS in case of fungal, viral or bacterial infection, as it decreases the immune response of the body, making the condition more serious. The doctor must be informed about any kidney or liver disorder, heart diseases or condition of high blood pressure, diabetes, osteoporosis, hypothyroidism or ulcers in the stomach. There can also be various side effects of Celestamine NS like nausea, vomiting, increased thirst or hunger conditions, diabetes or fatigue. Some of the severe side effects can be high blood pressure, weight gain or allergic reactions. The dosage must be taken strictly as directed by the doctor. It should be taken with food or milk to avoid stomach issues. There should be a gradual decrease in the dose if the condition becomes better.
Precautions While Taking Celestamine:
- The following precautions must be taken while taking Celestamine
- Celestamine must not be taken in case of fungal infections.
- Celestamine should not be administered to a pregnant or a nursing or breastfeeding women. It can be harmful to the unborn child. It may pass into the milk and cause harm to the baby.
- Celestamine is not a suitable drug for infants.
- Celestamine should be avoided if a person is allergic to betamethasone.
- Celestamine must not be taken for a long time.
- Celestamine can lead to reproductive problems in men.
- One must not exchange Celestamine tablets for syrup or vice versa as the concentration of components varies.
- Celestamine can suppress the work of an antibody.
- The dosage of Celestamine taken should be exactly as per the doctor’s prescription.
- At times, overdosage of Celestamine can be fatal, so in any case of overdosage emergency medical help is a must.
We hope that we were able to deal with your possible queries related to Celestamine. In case there is still confusion, please write to us and leave your questions, issues, and suggestions in the comments section below. Have a great time ahead. Until next time.