Imagine how frustrating would it be waking up with bags under the eyes, when you have an important event to attend. What if we tell you that instead of panicking, you could get rid of puffy eyes by following just a few simple tips and home remedies? Sounds too good to be true, right? But it really is true. Read on to know more about it!
Causes Of Puffy Eyes:
Swelling around the eyes or eye bags signifies that you have excess fluid called edema surrounding the skin tissue. Since the skin around the eyes is thinnest, discoloration and swelling are most prominent in this area. But what causes this accumulation? Below are the causes:
- Physical stress
- Change in weather
- Lack of sleep
- Sinus problems
- Allergic reactions
- Excessive crying
- Hormonal changes in the body
Why Do Eyes Look Puffy In The Morning After Waking Up?
The real reason for our eyes appearing puffier on waking up is not blinking. Blinking is like a physical exercise for the eyes. Just like when we’re idle, we develop swelling in our lower extremities. And this swelling goes away when we start walking and exercising. Similarly, not blinking causes puffy eyes and as soon as you begin your normal routine, it gets back to normal.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes:
A simple, yet effective home remedy to get rid of puffy eyes or under eye bags. The cold spoon method works by tightening the muscles around the eyes and relaxing the blood vessels.
How To Use Cold Spoons To Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes?
- Chill 6 metal spoons in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Hold the rounded portion of the spoons against your eyes until the spoons get warm.
- When the spoons get warm, replace them with another set from the freezer.
2. Tea Bags:
Both green tea and black tea bags can do wonders in soothing puffy and irritated eyes. Green and black teas contain anti-irritant properties, which won’t just reduce the swelling around the eyes, but will also give relief from inflammation and redness.
How To Use Tea Bags To Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes?
- Place two used tea bags in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Now lie down and place the tea bags over your eyes. Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this method several times a day for best results.
Chilled cucumbers have been used for decades to treat dark circles and puffy eyes. Cucumber contains astringent properties and enzymes that tighten the skin and reduce inflammation. This home remedy will also contribute to reducing wrinkles around the eyes.
How To Use Cucumber To Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes?
- Chill a few slices of cucumber in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Lie down and place a slice of cucumber over each eye. Repeat with other slices when the previous cucumber slices have become warmer.
- Repeat the method several times a day to get a bright and refreshed look.
The starch present in potato contains anti-inflammatory properties which can reduce puffy eyes, just like tea bags. This method works well for dark circles as well.
How To Use Potato To Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes?
- This method is similar to cucumber method. You need to slice and freeze raw potato and place them on your eyes for 20 minutes.
- You’ll notice a significant improvement in puffy eyes post use.
This method is useful for treating extreme puffy eyes. Milk reduces water retention and cools the eye.
How To Use Milk To Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes?
- Dip cotton balls or pads in chilled milk and place it on your eyes. Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off to witness invigorating eyes.
6. Egg Whites:
The skin tightening properties of egg whites can banish the under eye bags in no time. And it will save you from wrinkles as well.
How To Use Egg Whites To Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes?
- Separate the egg white from the yolk and whip thoroughly.
- Add a few drops of witch hazel to it and apply in under the eyes.
- Leave it for 15 minutes or until it dries.
- Repeat the method daily for a few days.
Tips To Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes:
Apply Hemorrhoid Cream:
Sounds weird right? But it actually works. In fact, models and artists have been swearing by it since ages. Hemorrhoid cream tightens the puffy eyes and reduces wrinkles to give a fresh look. If you find the odor of hemorrhoid cream too strong, mix some moisturizer in it. And be very careful while applying the cream. It shouldn’t get in the eyes.
Drink Plenty Of Water:
The easiest way to steer clear of puffy eyes is by keeping yourself well hydrated. A well-hydrated body means fewer chances of water retention, the primary culprit behind puffy eyes. Besides, water will also flush off excess toxins from the body. To prevent puffy eyes, you need to gulp down at least ten glasses of water every day.
Eat Less Sodium:
This is the best way to prevent under eye bags. Sodium is one of the leading causes of water retention. It causes the water to get drawn out of the cells, puffing up the tissues. This often leads to the bloating effect on the eyes. If not given attention, it could even lead to kidney diseases. So cut down your sodium intake to reduce eye puffiness.
Get Enough Sleep:
Not getting enough sleep or poor quality sleep is one of the major causes of eye puffiness. So aim to sleep for at least 8 hours every day to get rid of puffy eyes and prevent it from occurring.
Exercising will improve the circulation, thereby aiding the body in moving the fluid instead of accumulating it. Just for a run or walk if you are pressed for time for going to the gym.
Elevating yourself while sleeping can prevent eye puffiness and bags. If you’ve been a constant victim of eye puffiness, elevate yourself slightly while sleeping. This will impede the buildup of fluid around the eyes.
We’re sure these tips and remedies will help you get rid of puffy eyes in no time. What tips and tricks would you suggest to get rid of puffy eyes? Tell us by commenting below!