So you thought pimples and acne occur only on the face! Well, we believe you haven’t experienced bacne (back acne) yet. You are fortunate, as bacne is one of the most inconvenient things to happen. And one of the most unsightly as well! So how can you get rid of back acne? We’ll tell you. But first, let’s learn what bacne is and why it occurs.
What Is Bacne (Back Acne)?
Acne occurs when the hair follicles are clogged with oil or dead skin. Which means acne can take place anywhere, except the palms of hands and feet, as these areas do not have sebaceous glands that produce oil and sebum. Acne which occur in the back is called bacne.
Causes Of Back Acne:
The causes of back acne are more or less to the facial acne. These include:
- An abundance of dead skin cells
- Overactive oil organs
- Expansion of acne causing microscopic organisms
- Clogging of dead skin cells inside the follicle
Types Of Bacne:
The types of back acne include:
- Whiteheads: Whiteheads, also called shut comedones are caused when the follicles are trapped underneath the skin.
- Pimples: Blocked follicles can also give rise to pimples, which is also referred to as open comedones.
- Papules: Papules are the skin injuries that show up on the body as pink zits.
- Cysts: When a skin lesion grows beneath the surface, it solidifies and gives rise to cysts.
- Blisters: Blisters are large sized sores filled with pus. These often leave scars on the skin.
Treatment For Bacne:
The causes and symptoms of back acne may be similar to facial acne, but the treatment for both differs. The pores on our back are larger than pores on the face, which means you should opt for remedies and treatment designed especially for this area. Below are our time-tested home remedies, tips, and treatment to help you get rid of bacne. Check out the home remedies first!
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Bacne:
1. Oatmeal Honey Mask:
Oatmeal works tremendously well for acne, including back acne. It soaks up excess sebum from the body, thereby preventing the onset of pimples. And when mixed with honey, it can remove the bacne scars as well.
You Will Need:
- 3 tablespoons plain oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Cook oatmeal in water and when it cools, add honey to it. If the mixture dries, add some more honey to it.
- Apply this mask on your back and wash it off with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar:
This wonderful product can help get rid of back acne by adjusting the pH value of the body and tightening the pores, thereby reducing redness and swelling and killing bacteria. It’s principally because of the anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of the apple cider vinegar.
You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 glass of water
- In a spray bottle, add apple cider vinegar, water, and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Spray the solution on the back before going for a shower and wash it off after 20 minutes.
- You can also use a cotton ball for applying apple cider vinegar to your back.
- Or you can apply apple cider vinegar directly on your back with a cotton ball.
3. Lemon Juice:
The acidic and antibacterial properties of lemon are well documented. But did you know the same properties can help terminate bacne as well?
You Will Need:
- Juice of lemon or lemon slices
- Rose water (optional)
- Rub a slice of lemon on the infected area and leave it for a few hours before washing it off.
- Alternatively, you can mix lemon juice and rose water in equal quantities and apply on the bacne using a cotton ball.
4. Epsom Salt Remedy:
The anti-inflammatory properties of Epsom salt can help give relief from irritation, redness, and itchy skin. Besides, it also activates the enzymes that help regulate nutrients vital for the skin health, like vitamin D, potassium, and zinc.
You Will Need:
- 1 to 2 cups of Epsom salt
- Warm bath water
- Add Epsom salt to your warm bathing water and soak your body in it for 30 minutes. Ensure that you do not use any chemical-laden soap or shower gel while performing this remedy.
- After the Epsom salt bath, drink loads of water.
Note- Do not rub Epsom salt directly on the skin as it can aggravate the condition.
5. Sea Salt Remedy:
A high sodium diet can aggravate your pimples and acne, but salt solution can help you get rid of them. Salt dries out the skin, removing excess oil that causes bacne.
You Will Need:
- 2 to 3 cups of sea salt
- Bathing tub filled with warm water
- Add sea salt to your bathtub and soak yourself in the water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pat dry your body, do not rub. If the body feels a bit stretchy or dry, apply a gel based moisturizer.
- You’ll see a difference in just a week or so if the body responds to the remedy.
Note- Do not use regular salt for this remedy. It can exacerbate the condition.
Tips To Get Rid Of Back Acne:
PH Balancing Body Wash:
Just like the face, you need a body wash that targets the aggressive bacne. Most of the shower gels available in the market are harsh. So which one should you pick? Dermatologists recommend using Sans [Ceuticals] pH Perfect Body Wash, as it contains vitamin A that encourages cell turnover.
Take Regular Shower:
Yes, you have to follow proper hygiene to eradicate bacne. Do not wait to get home to take a shower after working out in the gym. The sweat will build up between the gym clothes and skin, promoting acne causing bacteria. So shower right after the workout.
Use Body Scrub:
People suffering from bacne must invest in a good body scrub. Regular scrubbing will encourage skin renewal by refreshing the body’s skin cells. It will also polish and exfoliate the skin, thereby unblocking the pores.
Over The Counter Medications:
Creams and ointments containing salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide work well for all kinds of acne, including bacne. Clean and dry your back area and apply the ointment on it. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash off.
Note- If you have sensitive skin, avoid using creams that contain 5% or 10% of benzoyl peroxide.
Drink Loads Of Water:
This is imperative. You need to drink loads of water and avoid excess consumption of dairy, oily and sugary foods.
Wear Loose And Clean Clothes:
Wear loose and clean cotton clothes to let your skin breathe. Cotton is preferable as it doesn’t trap dead skin cells in the body as synthetic clothes do. Never wear the same clothes twice. NEVER!
The above tips and remedies will surely help you get rid of back acne. If you have any more tips to share with, leave a comment below!