We all are obsessed with losing a few pounds from the body. Every now and then, you’ll hear someone or the other saying, “I’m trying to shed a few pounds.” Unfortunately, losing weight isn’t as easy as it sounds. It takes hard work and dedication. But what if we tell you, you can shed a few pounds in just a week? Sounds too good to be true, right? But it is! You can achieve the feat by following the GM diet plan. Let us know a bit more about this diet plan below!
What Is GM Diet?
The GM diet plan was developed by General Motors to help its employees lose weight. The diet, after being reviewed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Food and Drug Administration, was first tested in 1985 at the John Hopkins Research Center.
The Science Behind GM Diet:
Popular ever since, this 7-day diet works on the principle of calorie restriction. The foods recommended in this diet plan are high in fiber and low is sugar. Fruits and veggies get absorbed quickly by the digestive tract, thereby speeding up the digestion and removing waste and toxins from the body. The increase in water intake also makes the digestive system more efficient. This, in turn, helps shed excess fat from the body. There have been reports of people losing 10 to 17 pounds per week just by following this diet plan.
Benefits Of GM Diet Plan:
The benefits of GM Diet are paramount. Below, we’ve listed a few.
- Quick weight loss is the biggest advantage of GM diet. You can lose up 3 to 6 kilos in a week.
- The high content of water recommended in the GM Diet will not just reduce fat, but will also take the body through a detoxification process.
- GM diet would be very beneficial for people suffering from constipation. This diet plan will promote regular bowel movement and will rid the toxins and waste products that tend to make the body sluggish.
- What we love the most about this diet plan is its short time span. You will be done in just seven days.
The GM Diet Plan:
Before proceeding, here are a few things you need to note.
- You cannot consume alcohol while following the GM diet as alcohol increases the level of uric acid in the body, thereby causing water retention. This can block the natural detoxification process.
- You also need to drink 10 to 15 glasses of water daily. Since you will be barred from eating the recommended amount of carbohydrates, will act as your primary source of energy. It will also boost your metabolism, helping you get rid of the unwanted pounds.
Below is the detailed GM diet plan for you to follow. Even vegetarians can follow this GM diet plan. Non-vegetarians can replace non-fatty beef with paneer.
The first day would be a bit tough for you, as you would have to keep yourself from the craving just by consuming fruit And you cannot pick and eat any fruits you like. You have to refrain from eating bananas, litchi, grapes and mango. But the good thing is that there’s no restriction on the quantity. So you can eat as much as you like. We’d suggest you to gorge on orange, sweet lemon, watermelon, berries and pomegranates. It will get the diet off to a great start.
The first day will prepare you for the upcoming days by providing you ample of nutrition. But remember, you cannot combine anything else with the fruit. Neither can you drink it up in the form of juice. It should be pure fruit.
The second day is an out and out veggie day. You are allowed to eat nothing but vegetables, which, of course, you can eat to your heart’s content. And you do not have to eat raw veggies only. Boiled vegetables will also do. If you want, you can kick-start the day with a boiled potato and a teaspoon of butter. It will give your body ample energy to survive the day. Post your breakfast with boiled potato; you can eat only raw or boiled vegetables. You’re free to season the veggies to make it more palatable.
Day 3 is a combination of fruits and veggies day. You can eat any amount of fresh fruit and vegetables at any given time of the time, along with ten glasses of water. On day 2 of the diet plan, you are forbidden from eating potatoes and bananas as you’ll get plenty of carbohydrates from fruits itself.
Day 4 is the day of banana. You are allowed to eat up to eight bananas in a day, along with three glasses of milk. Bananas tend to increase weight, but in this diet, they will provide sodium and potassium in your body.
You can also have diluted soup made of garlic, tomatoes, onion and capsicum, but just once a day. It will give your taste bud a nice change from the fruits and vegetables.
The 5th day calls for a tasty meal. You are free to add tomato, soya chunks, paneer or cottage cheese and sprouts in your meal. It’s recommended you make a yummy soup from these ingredients. The high levels of fiber in tomato will speed the digestion process. But you cannot eat more than six tomatoes a day.
On day 5 of the GM diet plan, you can have to increase your water intake by ¼. This will clear the excess uric acid from the body and will trick the body to believe that it does not need to retain water as it is getting water on a regular basis.
Day 6 is similar to Day 5, but instead of tomatoes, you have to include other vegetables in the plan. Continue consuming 12 to 15 glasses of water. The vegetables will give your body the recommended amount of vitamins and fiber.
The final and the most important day of the plan. You will be noticing a change in your body already. On the final day of your GM diet plan, you can eat one cup of brown rice or half a roti, fresh fruit juice and any other vegetable of your choice. And do not forget to consume 13 to 15 glasses of water.
Drinks You Can Consume During GM Diet Plan:
- Black tea, herbal tea, green tea
- Black coffee without cream or sugar
- Fruit juice, but only on day 7
GM Diet Soup Recipe:
- 6 large onions
- Two green peppers
- One cabbage
- A bunch of celery
- 2 green peppers
- Vegetable or chicken soup stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut all the veggies and transfer to a large saucepan with water.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- You can even try grilling the vegetables before adding to the water.
Side Effects Of GM Diet Plan:
Some short-term side effects are common with the GM Diet plan. Some include:
- Muscle weakness due to not consuming protein rich food
- Incessant thirst for water and dehydration. This can be prevented by increasing your water intakes.
If you follow this diet plan correctly, nothing in the world can stop you from getting a slimmer frame. But that doesn’t mean you can go back to eating junk, meat, and calorie laden food again. If you desire to keep the weight off, you have to practice healthy eating habits along with daily workout.
Have you tried GM diet plan for weight loss? Did you notice any difference in your body weight? Share your experience with us by commenting below.
Disclaimer: Always talk to your doctor before trying out any diet plan, including GM diet plan.